Taking learning to
a whole new level...
Year 10 information evening: Thursday 4 October 2018
Year 11 information evening: Thursday 11 October 2018
Sixth Form results
At IKB we are thrilled with this year’s results that yet again show parents and students that studying in the sixth form at IKB delivers the highest grades and progress.
There is so much to celebrate and we are really pleased that our students have achieved highly in both the academic and vocational qualifications across the full range of subject areas.
IKB students achieved a 100% pass rate in all the A level Science and Maths subjects, and we also achieved a 100% pass rate in all the Level 3 BTEC qualifications.
Over 60% of our students gained at least one top grade (A*/A or equivalent) and impressively 48% gained at least two of these top grades.
In only our second year, these results place IKB firmly on the map as a learning institution where excellence is achieved not only in our specialist areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths but also across the full range of subjects available through our collaborative provision across the Wellsway Multi Academy Trust.
Most importantly these results give our students the opportunity to follow their dreams to study at university and on high quality degree apprenticeships. These include Roland who achieved A*A*AA and will be studying engineering at Oxford University and Robbie who achieved A*AB and will be studying maths at Cardiff. George gained three Distinction* grades and has won a place on a civil engineering degree apprenticeship with Exeter University.
We will miss our fantastic group of students, but know that the results they have gained at IKB along with their work placements and skills have secured them fantastic university places, apprenticeships and jobs which will equip them well for the next stage of their lives. We wish them all the very best of luck.
A second week of fantastic exam results for IKB Academy!
At IKB we are extremely pleased with our examination results. This is only the second set of GCSE results for the school and we have seen a strong increase in the percentage of students achieving the nationally recognised grade 4 or above in English and Maths from 53% in 2017 to 65% this year.
As a school with a focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) subjects we are especially pleased with results in these areas. Students at IKB achieved 100% pass rate in all the STEM subjects and this is particularly impressive in the GCSE sciences where almost 20% of students achieved at least one top grade (7+) across Biology, Chemistry and Physics. In engineering over 70% of the grades were a Distinction or Distinction*, a huge achievement for both students and their teachers.
We are also pleased to report success across other subject areas with 68% of all students having achieved at least one top grade in their results this week. This is a fantastic achievement for all students but a special mention must go to Riana Cano who achieved 9 top grades and Jasmine Neal Long who achieved 6 top grades. In addition we are equally proud of so many of our students who exceeded their expected grades to make great progress at IKB. A special mention goes to Amelia Nicholas, Ellianna Glanville, Emma Chaney, Marcus Hales, James Lau and Casey Smith who all took away fantastic sets of results after two years of hard work at IKB.
If you are interested in applying to IKB for either 2018 or 2019 entry into Years 10 or 12 please our admissions section.
New GCSE grading system FAQs (Pdf, 329kb)
Years 10 and 12
Term 1 commences on Wednesday 5th September for Years 10 and 12 only (new students).
Years 11 and 13
Term 1 commences on Thursday 6th September for Years 11 and 13 (all students in school).
As an IKB Sixth Form student you get:
• Fantastic qualifications, taught by passionate teachers in excellent facilities
• Full study programmes designed to fulfil your future aspirations
• Independent learning experiences with support and skills delivered through a bespoke IKB mindset programme
• The opportunity to experience specialist work placements that will support your applications into competitive degree courses and apprenticeships
• Membership of a small tutor group, meeting weekly with your individual tutor to support and guide you
• To be part of a small unique Sixth Form where you are known and understood and encouraged to excel
• Recognised as young adults and given the freedom to manage your own free time, wear your own clothes, build mature relationships with teachers and adults within the school
• Subject specific trips and visits in the following areas:
• Physics/Maths – theme park trip to develop kinematics and mechanics
• Physics/Engineering – residential trip to Cern in Geneva, Switzerland, to develop understanding of particle physics and cuttingedge engineering
• Biology – residential field trip to develop ecology techniques
• Chemistry – a university residential with industry visits
• Product Design – a trip to London to visit the Design Museum, local trips to areas of design interest
• Engineering – industry visits to experience production and manufacturing processes across a wide variety of engineering sectors
• An additional summer enrichment trip abroad for enjoyment with your peers, with activities to entertain you.